SafetyNet & Predictive Solutions Can Improve a Safety Management System (SMS)
Predictive analytics are driving game-changing results in other business functions, so why not in Safety Management Systems?
Many companies employ Safety Management Systems (SMS) to great effect. Some model their Safety Management Systems off the ISO 9001 standards (OHSAS 18001), others use the ANSI Z10 standard, and others simply create their own (e.g. Plan, Do, Check, Act). Regardless, when coupled with a safety software system that employs an advanced analytics solution, like SafetyNet, a Safety Management System can return world-class workplace safety results by predicting and then preventing workplace injuries.
Let’s review the basic phases of a Safety Management System, as described by one of our most successful customers, and how such a process can be supported by a safety software system that leverages advanced and predictive analytics.
- Job Hazard Analysis (JSA) or Job Safety Analysis (JSA) – identify all hazards associated with the work to be accomplished.
- Risk Management Plan – formalize the strategies and plans to manage all hazards identified in phase.
- Communicate and Train – communicate the objectives and train all employees on the specifics of the Risk Management Plan so that they can work safely but can also be held accountable within the Plan.
- Audit, Inspect & Observe – conduct ongoing inspections, audits, and observations of the conditions and behaviors in the workplace to identify either a) non-compliance to the Risk Management Plan, or b) gaps that were not identified in the Plan because the JHA or JSA was incomplete.
- Incident Analysis – conduct analysis of each incident in order to (similar to phase 4) identify either a) non-compliance, or b) gaps in the hazard analysis or risk management plan.
- Recognition & Accountability – Reward those that are actively participating in and supporting the Safety Management System process and hold those accountable who are not – at all levels of the organization from executive to middle management to frontline employee. Further, the entire Safety Management System must be held accountable to ensure that it is constantly improving and yielding results (e.g. lower injury and incident rates).
A robust safety software system can support the entire Safety Management System process. However, some of the most impactful results come from the use of predictive analytics on audit and inspection data from phases 4 and 6. By trending the information collected from Safety Management System audits and inspections companies can predict where incidents are likely to occur, so they can be prevented. See below for actual results from four companies that used Predictive Solutions’ safety software system to predict and prevent injuries within their Safety Management System process.
Figure 1 – As SMS audits increase (blue line), injuries and incidents decrease (red line)
Learn more about how Predictive Solutions can improve your safety management system by contacting our team, downloading our latest whitepaper, Four ‘Safety Truths’ that Reduce Workplace Injuries, or reading a case study and listening to video testimonials from Southern Company about how SafetyNet supports their SMS process.